- Valentine’s Day Fun Facts
- Pet Etiquette
- Work Orders
- Military Saves Week
- Scholarship Applications due this month!
- Green corner
- Want to know what is happening in your community
- Upcoming Events
Valentine’s Day is approaching. Sixty-two percent of Americans celebrate Valentine’s Day. How do they observe it? Here are some fun facts about this day:
- In the middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression "to wear your heart on your sleeve."
- About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged each year. This makes it the second largest seasonal card sending time of the year.
- Teachers will receive the most Valentine's Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
- Over $1 billion worth of chocolate is purchased for Valentine's Day in the U.S.
- 73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine's Day are men, while only 27% are women.
Fort Meade is a pet friendly community. As a reminder, “poop and scoop” is mandatory and requires the immediate removal of pet waste from yards, common areas and grounds in the neighborhood. When walking your pet, bring extra bags to be sure you have enough. For your convenience, pet stations are located throughout the communities. Please do not dispose of your pet waste on the ground at the pet stations. Cleaning up after your pet sets a good example for others and is the right thing to do.
Corvias is committed to providing excellent maintenance service to our residents. In order to resolve maintenance requests as efficiently as possible, please notify the Community Office immediately when maintenance is required. Emergency work orders should be called in immediately. Please do not submit emergency work orders online or through email.
Military Saves Week begins February 27! Saving your hard-earned money year-round is a great way to ensure your family’s financial preparedness. Take this week to review your saving plans. Set your goals, even small ones, and start saving now. For more information, please visit www.militarysaves.org to review savings tips, tools, resources, and strategies.
It is important to recognize that, despite your savings plans, there may still be financial emergencies that cost more than your nest egg can cover. If you are ever in an unexpected financial emergency, the Air Force Aid Society can help. The Society can assist with living expenses, emergency travel, vehicle expenses, funeral expenses, and other emergencies. For more information, please visit www.afas.org.
Contact ACS at (301) 677-5590 for classes on topics such as financial readiness and planning, the thrift savings plan, investing and other financial topics.
Don’t forget! Applications for the Corvias Foundation $50,000 Scholarships for children of active-duty service members are due Thursday, February 9. The application is available online at corviasfoundation.org. $5,000 Scholarships for spouses are due May 4.
Water Conservation: When washing your hands, turn the water off while lathering. See more tips here!
Your community calendar can help you stay up-to-date on trash, recycling, lawn care, resident events and community activities.
You can even sync your community calendar with a personal Google calendar by clicking on the +Google button on the bottom right-hand corner of the calendar.
Follow us on Facebook!
- February 2nd – Groundhog Day
- February 3 - National Wear Red Day
- February 5 – Super Bowl - Watch the "big game" on multiple large screens at 6:30pm at The Lanes
- February 9 – Scholarship application deadline
- February 10 – R&B Night at Club Meade; 7pm-midnight
- February 14th – Happy Valentine’s Day!
- February 18th – Spin Fest ; 2 hour spin ride 10am-noon at Gaffney
- February 20th – President’s Day – All Community Offices open
- February 24th – Latin Night at Club Meade; 7pm-midnight
- February 27th – March 4th – Military Saves Week!
- February 28th - Mardi Gras